as women, most of us constantly compare themselves to others. In addition, we tend to be very critical of ourselves. Hence, during our childhood, it is most common that we develop thoughts which degrade our body image. I think, I will do an entire podcast on this topic, where I’ll talk a bit more about my body image journey and where I am currently at. However, today, I thought, I’d share with you 6 steps to a healthier body image.
- Eat a nutrient dense diet: For me, diet is the number one. Fueling one’s body with the most nutritious foods is like a balm for the soul. In my opinion, knowing that you put nourishing foods into your body supports a healthier body image. Not depriving oneself but instead eating whole foods in abundance has definitely a positive impact on the mental state and the way you see yourself. Eating right takes away from the pressure to look a certain way since it shifts the focus from appearance to health.
- Workout 3-6x a week: Working out can be life changing as long as one focuses on getting stronger and fitter instead of skinnier. How amazing is it to walk thousands of steps and stairs, carry those heavy groceries, cutting that hard pumpkin or run to the next bus stop without feeling exhausted and drained? I feel like getting through stressful and jam-packed days without feeling entirely rundown is truly something to strive for. Our bodies are amazing energy formations that truly love to get stronger. Yet, again shifting the focus from skinny to fit can make an enormous difference. On another note, there will be a video up on my current fitness routine tomorrow. To say the least, my current routine includes HIITs and a variation of classes like boxing and yoga. So, stay tuned.
- Find your mantra: Sometimes actions are not enough because our thoughts get in the way. On these occasions, it is important to have your mantras in place. For me, the most important mantras are You Are Loved and You Are Enough. The first one might be my new favourite since it lifts the pressure off your shoulders and rather focuses on something outside yourself: LOVE. Hence, in a moment of struggling with one’s body image simply repeat those in your head. You can also include those mantras in a meditation, your yoga practice, or write them on sticky notes all around your home.
- Be grateful: This one is a game changer. So often, we take everything for granted, even though nothing is. Therefore, it is vital to highlight the little daily presents life gives to us. With that I mean waking up, being able to walk, having a family or friends around, being able to read, write, eat or drink. Our bodies are such fascinating beings. Therefore, we truly need to honour them for that.
- Listen to empowering audio content: Sometimes, when all else fails we need those reminders to stay in a positive mindset and refocus. On that occasion, listening to some pep-talk through podcasts or audio-books can be vital. You can find my favourite podcasts in the weekly The Edits, or have a listen to my newly launched and very own podcast The Lifestyle Memo.
- Spend some me-time: Pampering yourself and taking time for your body might be a good strategy to feel good about yourself. For me this includes, taking the time to get ready in the morning and being able to do my morning routine, having enough time to apply my favourite makeup, getting my hair and nails done or simply having a warm shower followed by beautifully scented body lotion.
I hope these tips help you to feel better in your own skin and help you to shift your focus. Having a positive body image takes time, determination and a lot of work. In addition, even those with the best image about themselves have days of negativity in regard to their body. However, trust me it is so worth it to put in the effort.