Dressed in my new favourite knit sweater by Acne Studios, I feel like it is time to sit down, have a cup of Chai Tea, flip through a magazine and start telling little stories. There is nothing better than sharing random facts with your favourite people. Hence, I thought it would be so fun to do the same with you. So, get ready and make yourself comfortable. You might want to be dressed in a stylish yet cosy sweater like mine. Just so you know, this knit even made it to Fashion Week a couple days back. It’s that beautiful. Just saying.
Anyhow, let’s start with our little story session, shall we? Here, you go.
10 Random Facts About Me
- Twisting hair & elephants. When I get nervous or feel under pressure, I start putting my hands in my hair and twist them around. The feeling of fiddling with my hair gives me a sense of calmness. I am sure this habit started because of the plush toy, I received at birth. The stuffed toy is an elephant with a bunch of hair on its head. In order to fall asleep or to feel happy, I used to stroke the hair of the elephant. I can tell you the elephant has less hair nowadays. In the end, I am sure it is better I continue to twist the elephant’s hair to calm down instead of mine. I really want to keep my hair and not rip it out accidentally.
- I can’t sleep on my back. I used to sleep on my right side for a very long time. But after a period of having a lot of stomach aches at night and no warm water bottle around, I started to sleep on my stomach in order to feel more comfortable. This sleeping position has stuck with me. Now I am sleeping on my stomach with my head turned to the left. Hence, I am sleeping on my right cheek. Oh, and I haven’t even mentioned that I also manage to bend one leg. However, don’t get me wrong my sleeping position doesn’t require much space and I don’t even move a centimetre during the night.
- Moving, moving, & moving. I moved apartments 4 times in two and a half years. In addition, I spent periods in-between at my family’s home which makes the moving count go up even further. Since I started University, I moved to Rotterdam, changed apartment there, moved home to Mannheim again, moved to Hamburg and home again. Afterwards, I moved to Milan and recently I moved home again. In about a week, I will move back to Rotterdam. I can tell you, I love travelling and I love every minute of the experiences I am able to make. However, I hate searching for new apartments to live in. It is a true chore.
- I am not a touchy person. When someone approaches me to give me a hug, I often freeze and stand there like a stick. Somehow, I have a hard time to embrace people and have body contact with them. Hence, if anyone feels sad around me, I am the one awkwardly sitting next to the person. Well, it already starts with giving hugs to say hello. I truly don’t know what to do. It’s not that I don’t like to be embraced. I actually do. However, I am still learning to give a proper hug.
- I have trouble remembering names. I frequently end up in situations where people have shared their names several times with me and I keep forgetting them. I truly need to build up some kind of connection to a person in order to be able to remember their names. This can be really uncomfortable, especially when I have to ask several times. Luckily, I know my ways and am able to figure out names via Facebook, through other people, or simply cheekily by not addressing people by name until they drop their names again themselves. This is truly something I need to work on. However, I’ve already tried building jingles to aid memory. Thus far, I’ve been unsuccessful.
- Sweet potato obsession. My favourite food is sweet potato. You might have noticed that 80% of my weekly meals contain the root vegetable. I create sweet potato smoothie bowls, fill them up with other vegetables, cut them into chips or squares and the list goes on. I truly, cannot imagine ever getting sick of this versatile food. As for now sweet potato all day every day continues.
- Secret singer. I am secretly a singer. Well, not really but I love singing. People so far have told me that I am actually quite good at it. Once, I even sang at a friend’s 18th birthday party. Well, that was the biggest performance I ever had. Weirdly, enough I started singing less since I moved out to go to University. However, every time I go back to my family’s home, I seem to sing more frequently. One is able to listen to me walking up and down the stairs, in the living room, in the bathroom and obviously in the car. I also love creating playlists. You can listen to the music I love by following me on Apple Music.
- I love musicals. I have a passion for going to musicals. I even created a list of musicals I have been to and musicals that I want to go to. So far, I’ve only been to shows in Germany. However, I am dreaming about going to shows in London and New York in the future. Besides, I think, I love musicals so much since I enjoy the mix of singing and dancing. I wish I would be able to perform like that as well. I do not want to become a performer though.
- Choosing audiobooks. I loved to read when I was younger. However, since I started reading blogs and have to read a lot of articles both for University and work, I fell out of love with reading. I simply, cannot find the time to sit down and read, even though it is probably there. However, what I love to do instead, I simply listen to tons of audiobooks. This way I am able to cook in the meantime, do my laundry or makeup. This I call efficiency and making boring activities more fun.
- Dust free dishes. I need my dishes to be dust free. I have this weird habit of mine to check the dishes for dust before I load them up with food. Sometimes, I shake my plates, run them under additional water or blow on them to make the dust fly away. My parents have long excepted my way too thorough dish inspection. However, occasionally, they still give me the annoyed look. My excuse: I simply don’t like eating dust, duh.
Can you relate to some of my weird habits, obsessions and loves? Let me know. Oh, and please add some random facts about yourself. I would love to learn about them.